Friday, October 15, 2010

StreetViews - My first exhibition!


Well after five long years of walking around various cities and towns in New Zealand, I can now proudly present 'StreetViews' a collection of 20 black and white street photographs now showing at Nectar Bar and Cafe, 286 Princes Street, Dunedin. As you can see by the date I had the opening several weeks ago and I have to say I had a blast! As a recent graduate I often found that I could very rarely afford to print large prints, let alone have them mounted so it was amazing to view my prints on the wall of Nectar. First off I need to give a big thank you to Prolab in Dunedin (http://www.prolabnz.com/) whose helpful employees spent a long time with me tweaking the printer to give some of the most amazing results (also to Jill for her proofing critique). Also Artzone (http://www.art-zone.co.nz/) who helped me with the matting and mounting of the photos. They did a fantastic job and I'm grateful for their speedy and quality work.

Below are a couple of photos from the night. I should also mention that having been to few exhibition openings myself, I wanted mine to be something different. So after much arm twisting and practicing, the ukulele group 4-play (http://www.facebook.com/4PlayNZ)  that I am part of kindly said yes to playing at my exhibition. People sang, people danced and people looked at my images. What can I say? It was a blast!!!



4-play gets ready for some ukulele rock'n'roll!
My absolutely lovely flatmate Tahu who served as toastmaster!!!
Paul...we somewhat forgive him for his use of a guitar in a ukulele group...one day he will see the light and ditch the 6-string.

Red hatted me with Dave...getting our uke groove on!

When the music plays people dance, well two of them anyway.

Actually looking at these photos again make me realize how exhausting the day was...by the end of night   I was shattered and felt like going for a nap mid-celebratory burger. Anyway after the night I thought I could relax...well technically I could after my interview with the local television station haha. Yep I guess you could say I hit the big time...in Dunedin. Here is the link to the interview here (http://www.ch9.co.nz/node/16386) red hat and all!

To anyone that is in Dunedin or couldn't make it to the opening then I should tell you that StreetViews will be on view until the end of October. So drop by Nectar grab and coffee and have a look around. All the prints on display are for sale for $150, just notify the staff of Nectar and they will put you in contact with me.

A big thanks to Nectar (http://www.nectarespresso.co.nz/index.php). A wonderful place to hang photos and the staff know how to make a killer hot chocolate! Also a huge THANKYOU to the Noel at the Ronald Woolf Memorial Trust for giving me the scholarship to make this all possible. Each year they support young New Zealand photographer and I am grateful that they chose to support this little exhibition all the way down south!

And finally one big thank you to Nicole, Andrew and Sofi who helped put the finishing touches on the opening. I was a bit of nervous mess and all three were amazing help and support. I am immensely grateful to your help and couldn't have done it without you! 

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP